Exasperated No More

We had several days of fun in a row and immensely enjoyed having Allan home as well.

Then it was back to reality.

The kids were rowdy.



And messy.

And loud.

And I, I was grouchy.

My laundry room looked like this. (AFTER four loads had already been washed.)




I won't show you what the rest of the house looked like.  There's no need.  The laundry room shall suffice.

I asked the kids to clean up the girls' room as I answered the phone.  I was on the phone for about 9 minutes.  I stuck my head in the girls' room.






"I am pretty sure I asked you to put stuff away...but not to do THIS," I said.

"Oh, we were going to," said Corrine, "but then Brandon had an idea."

"Yes.  But that's not what I asked you to do.  And you broke the leg of the doll cradle," I replied.  "Brandon?"

Brandon put on his innocent face. Maybe he was innocently unaware until that moment that he had broken the doll cradle.  Maybe.

"I just set that gently on its side.  Just real gently.  And it just broke," he explained.

"Baloney juice," I said.

"Baloney juice," squeaked a two-year-old, half-pint voice from behind me.  "Say it with me: 'baloney juice'."

They got back on track and tided up the room, while I stewed in the laundry room.  Until I heard the voice.  That still, small voice.

Melanie.

That's all He said.  One seven-letter word.  But it was the way He said it.

It was the most gentle of reprimands, so full of love that it brought tears to my eyes.

"I'm so exasperated, Lord."

I know.

"But don't you think it's righteous exasperation?"

Melanie.

"Oh," I sighed.  "That's how I act frequently, isn't it, Lord.  You ask me to do something, but I have other, better ideas.  I forget all about you, I'm so busy doing my thing.  And in the process I break other things. I'm more like a horse, or a mule that has no understanding...that must be tugged around.  You have every right to be angry with me, and yet you're so patient and loving. I'm sorry."

I love you, Melanie.

"I love you too, Lord."

"Momma, why are you sad?" asked Brandon.

"Because I realized how impatient I was being with you...and how patient God is with me.  I had to tell Him I was sorry."

And when the night ended with half-pint arms wrapping themselves around my neck, pulling my head down and bestowing sweet kisses upon my cheek, I was so thankful that all the exasperation of the morning was no more.


Comments

  1. Mel, Thanks so much for going public with your blog, because I really needed to read what you wrote. I have been going through very similar things with my kids lately and have felt very frustrated. This was a very good reminder for me. I have also just asked the Lord for forgiveness and to help me be more patient. Thanks for sharing. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Aww...glad it was an encouragement. You are NOT alone!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts