Aha!

There are those times in life when you have those blessed 'aha' moments.  Those moments the light bulb comes on and reveals your ignorance in all its blazing glory.

Like that moment when you realized, after almost three decades, that these were not the real words to this song:

Now if you'll be a solider true
And win a for'e war  

In actuality the words were:

Now if you'll be a soldier true
And win a full reward

What's a "for'e" war?  Well, "for'e" is short for foreign   We are soldiers in a foreign land, after all.  Makes sense to me.

I was about eight years old before I realized it was "Jesus Love Me" and not "Jesus Sloves Me". That one never made sense, but that's what everyone else around me was singing, so that's what I sang.

And then there was the person in the college English class that wrote an essay about "sexual in-your-windows".  heheh

The 'aha!' moments are rather prolific around here with three young children.

There was the time that I realized they were singing, "Gideon had a horse, Gideon had a horse.  He won the fight with the Midianites, cuz Gideon had a horse."

And "Shadrach, Meshach, and to bed we go."

And the time when they realized that cat wasn't furrin', it was purring.

And pike-i-soles where actually popsicles.

The most recent mix-up had both Allan and I snorting.  We were on our way to meeting and Brandon was running through his verse...Proverbs 19:11

"A man's wisdom gives him patience;  it is to his glory to look over the fence."

Comments

  1. Haha. It took me a while to figure out that "The Birds Up In The Treetops" didn't end with "washing I, washing you, praise Him too." Ah. And we would take the "seeny croute" home quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my word. soo funny. how bout. shelter door, shelter door, in his love for evermore.

    or

    join hands with jesus as we travel this song..

    so confused for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! My self-confidence just went up a few notches! I'm still laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Melanie, that was so funny. Could I add one more? Dave said, he for years, couldn't ever figure out what a "weakbutt" was. "he is weak but I am strong!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melanie, I just found your blog; what a fun thing to read on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Add this one to your list: in the mid-80's when I lived in Sacto, the kids used to get up every Sunday and sing. One song they sang that I can't remember the title of talked about God's family and how there was plenty of work to be done, something like that anyway. There was a phrase in it (this is what I heard) that said: "There are many things crawling the mighty ocean, there's no lack of work to be done. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how 'many things crawling the mighty ocean fit into the theme of the song, other than maybe the author couldn't come up with any words so threw God's creation in there. So here it is:

    I heard: "There are many things crawling the mighty ocean"

    Actual words: "There are many things calling for my devotion"

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts