Pinnacles National Park

I haven't done much of anything strenuous in the past four months.  Four months ago, I would have defined strenuous as turning over in bed.

But last week, I was ready.  Ready to spend time with my favorite people (my man and my kids), in my favorite place (the wild outdoors), doing my favorite thing (anything active).

We took advantage of a day off school and decided to spend the day at Pinnacles National Park.

Allan got up early and headed to work while we slept in.  And by sleeping in, I mean that Claire got up at 5:30 wanting breakfast.  Yay!  I sent her back to bed saying, "I'll get you breakfast when the sun comes up."  By 6:45, she and Corrine were up for the day.  Miraculously, Brandon continued to sleep.

I gathered backpacks, water bottles, and packed lunches while the younger two bickered.  Bickering always makes for a pleasant morning.  It's funny though, isn't it, that God uses those moments as opportunities?  Ah, I do that, don't I, Lord?  You have these great plans for me, full of goodness, but instead of joyful anticipation I get sidetracked and start bickering about things of little consequence.

A little after nine, we jumped in the car and headed north to pick up Allan on a ranch near our destination where he was working.







Pinnacles National Park was formed along the San Andres Fault Line and is spectacular.













There are a couple of different talus caves that we thought the kids would enjoy.  Unfortunately, the younger two were less than thrilled with the prospect of climbing down into pitch darkness with a dim flashlight.

It was decided that Allan would take the girls back to each lunch while Brandon and I went on.




He was absolutely eating it up.  "I just want to see everything!  Wow!  Look at this!  Oh, this is neat!  How were these made?  Oh, look, there's water!  I just want to take this trail, so I can see new things.  I wish all day could be a me and Mommy day.  Just us!  Hiking up this hill is hard.  My legs are tired.  But it's good."





After a mile and a half, my legs were like jelly.  It's amazing how fast your muscles atrophy.  It was hard, but it was good.  So very, very good.

We hiked back and had lunch with Allan and the girls.



Lunch seemed to work wonders on the attitudes and courage levels, which was a blessing.  We set out again, and this time, everyone went through the cave without much ado.


Photo credit: Corrine


Do you see that gate in the picture above?  They use that to close off the trail when the water gets too high (a creek runs through the cave).

Throwing rocks in the small stream was the highlight for Claire.  Anything that involves water makes her happy.



We hiked for almost four hours.  I was the most sore I have ever been in my life.

And it was glorious.

Comments

  1. Brandon looks thrilled. Corrine. ha. not so much. ;) love you all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts