The Real Person Behind All of This

I'm a bit nervous as I type tonight.  Weird, I know.  Why?  Well, probably because tonight I'm not writing about my kids.  I'm writing about me, and that makes me a tad uncomfortable.

I initially started this blog as journal for my kids.  I wanted to write down funny things that they said and did.  Things like this.  And this.  Then I decided to share it with a few of my out-of-state relatives.  Then I shared it with in-state relatives.  Then I shared it with some friends...and some more friends.  THEN I made it public.  Quite frankly, I felt a bit scared.  I wasn't so worried about privacy issues with my kids.  After all, there are about 789,967,546 family blogs out there in cyberspace, plus or minus three.  No, I was worried about MY privacy.  I was worried that people I didn't really know would approach me, feeling like they KNEW me.  And that would just be weird.

I would rather write a story than tell a story.  Stories and thoughts are forever swimming around in my head, rarely surfacing.  When they do surface into my verbal world, they don't really resemble the creatures that were gracefully gliding beneath the surface.  They are generally clumsy and awkward.

Over the past few months, I have had people come up to me and comment about my blog.  Several readers, who see me two to three times a week, have remarked that they don't know the "me" that is portrayed by my writing.  I'm not surprised, because that's what I expected from the very beginning.  But it's a little funny to watch people try to figure out if I truly am my "blogger self", "in-person self" or a combination of the two.  Even close friends noticed "a difference".

Of course, to me, my writing is my "true self".  It reveals more about what's going on inside me than my "in-person self" does.

I'm a curious creature, so I decided to ask my family what they thought.

"So, when you read my blog, do you feel like a stranger is writing the stories or does it sound like me?" I asked.

My mom and sister both stared at me like I had grown two heads and began to talk simultaneous (imagine that).

"It's sounds just like you!"

"What?!?! I feel like you're talking to me!"

"But, I definitely think you are more reserved around people, so they don't know the real you."

"Unless I'm on the volleyball court, then I get mouthy," I commented.

I don't think I have a personality disorder.  But, I do wonder sometimes though. (hehe)  However, I do treat people differently depending on their personality.  I generally don't joke with most (80 percent) of females (chance of injury is too high and most don't enjoy dry, cutting cynicism or sarcasm).  I generally don't tell long-winded stories (it seems like there are always plenty of other people who are wanting to talk).  And I am more inclined to discuss ideas verbally rather than tell stories verbally.

All that to say, if you talk to my family, they will say this IS the real person behind all this---this blog stuff.  But if you stop me to talk about my blog, you will probably just get an "Oh.  Really?  Yeah." type of response.

Don't be intimidated.  It's just, well, me.  I'm kind of weird like that.


Comments

  1. Well Mel I do feel like this blog is you or at least the Mel I grew up with! Your mouthy volleyball comment made me chuckle;). We just got back from a camp where I got to play more v ball then I have in years and well.......duct tape might have come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I know the real you. ;) I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, it does sound like you. I am enjoying your blog. I miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mel. I feel like I'm with you in person when I'm on here. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I have recently been told about your blog; and it has been a great encouragement to me. It has made me laugh often, which EVERY mom needs to stop and do, right? I have a extremely busy 3 yr old guy, so your stories about Brandon hit close to home for me. :) Keep writing. I love it. - Linds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, I hope I am not too old to enjoy your stories and insights. (because I do). I recently (like today) found your blog and from what I have read, I can relate. I wish I had spent more time jotting down the wisdom that I learned from my children as they taught me about life. I will continue to enjoy you and your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts