My Parenthood List

You've heard it a million times...and if you haven't heard it, you will.

"Children bring so much joy to your life...and so many challenges." 

"I wouldn't trade them for anything, but sometimes..."

So here it is.  My list.

My 10 Challenges

1. Training.  I don't teach my children a character trait and move on.  I teach it...gain a little ground...lose a little ground...gain a little more ground...

2. Privacy.  Forget going to the bathroom without an audience.  Sometimes I lock them all out, only to see little fingers wiggling under the door, giggling voices and hear, "I can still see you!"

3. Relaxation.  "Honey, remember when we used to look at each other after dinner and say, 'So, what do you want to do tonight?'"

4. Patience.  It is a virtue.  A virtue that runs thin by dinner time, especially once naps have become a thing of the past.

5. Feasts.  Scrumptious dinners are few and far between.  Honestly, I love to cook, but anything that takes more than 30 minutes these days gets the boot.

6. Tidiness.   The house gets cleaned, but it never stays clean for more than 10 hours (when everyone is sleeping).  Smudges on the walls, toys everywhere, clothes behind the couch, dishes, just STUFF.

7. Sleep.  Between the three of them, I'm up 3-5 times a night.  Baby's getting teeth, kids have to go potty or are dreaming...then one child's crying wakes up another child, who in turn wakes up another child...it's a viscous cycle.  And Saturday mornings---what Saturday mornings?

8. Laundry. 

9. Consistency. Becoming weary in well-doing.

10. Welcome.  A joyful greeting for the bread winner. I have heard a few men comment about their wonderful wives..."She ALWAYS greets me at the door with a smile and hug."  Ha.  Haha.  Hahahaha.  That happens, sometimes.  I can't tell you how many times the hubby has come home to, well, let's not beat around the bush...chaos: the accumulation of the above nine challenges.  So I raise my eyebrows, give him a cheesy grin, a big hug and say, "Uh, welcome home!"  Fortunately, he's very understanding.  He smiles back, we both start chuckling and one of us says, "Ah.  This is the BEST time of our life."


And lest I dwell on the challenges and become discouraged...


My 10 Joys

1.  Love.  Can't help but love those little faces, hugs and kisses.

2. Humor. They make me laugh, sometimes when I shouldn't.  Kids say the funniest things...especially three-year-olds.

3. Knowledge.  It is SO special to watch them learn about God.  They soak up every word you tell them and repeat it back to you.  And it's a kick in the pants when they try to apply it, often a little misplaced.

4. Vision.  Everything is fascinating to children.  To see the world through the eyes of a child is an adventure in itself.  They even think that taking our travel trailer and parking it at the end of our road would be a dream vacation.  Honestly, that's what Brandon said.

5. Tenderness.  When they respond to our correction, when they respond to God. 

6. Innocence.  Not always realistic, but certainly refreshing.

7. Imagination.  It's the best when they don't realize that you can hear them.  Corrine can be 5 different characters at one time.  And Brandon is never lacking an invention.  Claire's a goofball.

8. Growth.  I think I have learned more about myself since I gave birth to my first child than I ever dreamed I would.

9. Memories.  Every day I'm storing up memories.  When I have the wrinkliest face on the planet, when Allan and I are summoning all of our strength to rise from our easy chairs, I will have my memories.  Memories of moments like this one I'm in.  Claire is sitting beside me, fussing for no apparent reason.  Suddenly, she sticks her hand down the back of her pants and pulls out a sharp piece of pretzel.  How did THAT get down there?  She stops fussing, smiles and...puts it in her mouth.  I wrinkle my nose.  One thing I am not is a germophobic.  Certainly a distasteful action, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

10.  Joy.  My joy is one of my greatest joys.  Is that possible?  Thanks for indulging me.  I appreciate it.  There is joy in knowing that I am doing what God intended for me to do.  I'm not saying that parenthood is God's intention for everyone.  But He does intend for all of us to love.  To love as we have been loved by Him.  *Sigh*  God, help me to love them as You have loved me.  Let Your joy be my strength.

Comments

  1. such a good post, so well written....you probably should get started on that book...or hop over to flowerpatchfarmgirl.blogspot. you write like her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. That blog you referenced is a keeper. I just love it. Today's post almost made me weepy, and September 4th's post had me in stitches.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts