Unconditional Love

Last night, as I was tucking my five-year-old into bed, she asked, "Mommy, what do I have to do to make you love me?"  (We talk about unconditional love around here. Often.)

I could see a smirk behind the oh-so-innocent expression on her face.

"Well," I replied, "you have to make your bed every day, clean up your room and obey. ALL the time."

The smirk turned into a giggle.

I gave her a goofy look.

"What about me?" I asked her. "What do I have to do to make you love me?  Do you love me even when I'm impatient and grumpy?"

She giggled again, than turned serious. "Actually, sometimes I get really mad at you, and I think mean things about you in my head.  But then I say, 'No, that's not right!  I love my mommy!'"

Ah, God.  Thank you for my dearest little ones.  You have used them to teach me more about unconditional love than I could have ever learned on my own.  I'm such a mess.  I'm a selfish, impatient, grouchy mess.  And You love me anyway.  You take my selfish, impatient, grouchy mess and turn it into something beautiful.  Thank You.  Thank You for loving me.


unconditional

Comments

  1. sweet, pretty girl. miss you all. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetness. So thankful too for the Lord's unconditional love. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so true, no one could love me unconditionally except the Lord. He knows me so well. I am overwhelmed at times by how much. Blessed by the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwhhhhh, I don't have kids to teach me these lessons, but I have clients. I have friends. I love the lessons life brings on this courageous journey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts