You Don't Say

In your childhood, did you ever read any books by Gordon Korman?  His first dozen are the best.  I do love Gordon Korman's sense of humor.  I get it.  And it gets me.

Especially Son of Interflux.  That book screams my name.  I'm that kid (I know, not really a kid anymore) who shows potential at everything and is excellent at nothing.  (Oh, and my dear cousin Ange,  if you didn't read it during your childhood, I Wanna Go Home screams your name.  I can just hear Rudy's voice in my head, "I didn't say I couldn't play baseball, I just said I don't play baseball.)

And then there's the one in which a particular student gets all his phrases mixed up.  Sometimes Freudian slip-ups, sometimes not.  Speaking of Freudian slip-ups, I just had a flashback to the time when my dad said, "Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder."  *snicker*  My poor dad.  We got A LOT of mileage out of that one.

That's one of the best things about the stage of life we're in right now: the things our kids say...  

"I'm a big job."

There's no denying it.  You are by far the biggest job I have ever undertaken.  But you are also a big kid and you did a good job.

"I had the best nightmare."

Really?

And then there's an abundance of words that you never imagined you would hear.  They are not Freudian slip-ups.  They're just the honest-to-goodness truth.

Brandon : I just accidentally kicked your flip-flop on the roof, Mommy.

Claire: I love God so much.  I love Him even more than my blankie.

Corrine: Help!  Help! My shoe is stuck in my hair!!!

Brandon: I don't want to die young. I don't want anyone else using my money.

Claire: I know, I know!  We can have a marry party.
Me: Who will you marry? 
Claire: Daddy! 

Claire: Are ambulances boys or girls? 
Me: Do you mean ambulance drivers?  Boys or girls can drive them.  
Claire: Oh.
Me: What do you want to be when you grow up? 
Claire: I want to be a fairy with wings to fly.

Corrine: Is there such a thing as a tomgirl? Why is it called tomboy?
Me: Good question.  That doesn't really make sense, does it?

Brandon: Someday, Claire, when you're a grandma---
Claire: No! I don't want to be a grandma or a mommy. I want to be a princess!

My favorite from the past month:

Brandon: Claire, you are a fussy baby!
Claire: You...you are compost!

And on and on and on.  Sometimes I get so used to hearing them, I forget to write them down.  Ah, there are some things about this stage of life that I enjoy immensely.  

And this is one of them.

Comments

  1. Haha! That is great. Made me laugh out loud:) I am sure being "compost" is the ultimate insult. So how did you get your flip-flop off the roof?

    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of forgot about it until it was time to go somewhere. I put on one flip-flop and said, "Grrrr." Allan asked what was wrong. "Um, I realize it's time to go, but I need my other flip-flop." He gave me a funny look. "It's on the roof." He gave me a funnier look. "Brandon." Being the kind sir that he is, he fetched it for me.

      Delete
  2. love this and those kids! made me laugh...and I can say that I could add a few from Kendra! Yes, Dad will never live down that slip-of-the-mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear some of Kendra's! You can share them on here since you don't have a blog... :)

      Delete
  3. This is great. Love this age too and how the kids express themselves. I need to do a better job writing mine down :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire can hold her own, can't she?! "Compost"! HaHa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, kids. Keep things lively around here, that's for sure. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, funny. Thanks for sharing. The shoe in the hair one caught me by surprise.

    I enjoy your blog.
    Darlene (w/4 boys in VA)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Just saw this post! It made me laugh so hard. I miss your kids lol. And I'm not sure if I read that one. I'll have to check it out haha. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts