Summer Vacation Part One: Pinecrest Lake

I've been AWOL for a couple of months.  Well, from Blogland, at least.  Afterall, it was summertime.  All three kids were home all day and the sun was shining.  And I find it very difficult to blog when the sun is shining.  Maybe that's not entirely true, because we haven't had a good rainstorm since January.  Yes, that's right, I live in the dessert (not really).  No, I don't live in Avenal, CA: the 'Oasis in the Sun' (Who in the world came up with that slogan anyhow?  You vote: an ignorant simpleton or a genius with a fabulous sense of humor?)

One of our highlights of the summer, or the year for that matter, was a family vacation.  I thought a trip to California gold country would be fun and so did the rest of the family.



The first part of our vacation was spend camping at Pinecrest Lake in the Sierra Nevada mountains.  The mountains just do something for me.  I love the smell.  I can't even describe it for you.  It's fresh. It's earthy.  It's crushed pine needles.  It's...it's divine.



The back portion of our campsite.  The kids loved all the little trails through "the forest".

Our first glimpse of the lake at dusk.  And no, I don't know what Allan is doing.



Yes, she cut her own bangs.  Again.



We spent our nights trying to get comfortable on the air mattress and listening to the sound of raccoons and dogs fighting.  I never saw them, only heard them, so I imagined brave Little Ann fending off a ginormous 'coon.  Somewhere around 3am, when she had given everything she had, she died.  And that was that.  (I kind left out the mountain lion part along with Big Dan--it was dramatic enough.) Such a depressing story.

We spent our days canoeing, fishing, swimming and eating ice cream.














It doesn't get any better.  It just doesn't.  Well, except for the fact that I was THE WORST paddling partner ever.  Allan bought the canoe right before our trip.  I've done a fair amount of canoeing in my life.  And I am always at the back, steering.  But not this trip.  On this trip I got assigned to the front.  I was a nag.  I didn't even like me.  The off-sync paddling was driving me crazy.  Why?  Well, because 1) It looks like we don't have a clue what we're doing, and 2) It's not nearly as productive as paddling in-sync.  Allan graciously didn't say much and continued to paddle however he felt like paddling.  I felt led to apologize for being my controlling, strong-willed self.

Claire spent all her time at the campsite cleaning.  She cleaned everything but her face.





 Another favorite past-time was "holding the wormies" because "they just really like me."




There were snakes trying to steal our fish.  Ick!


And a bald eagle.


Laurie, this one is for you.


I didn't know they made lifevests this little.  Now I do.


These types of incidents took a large portion of our fishing time...whaaaat?!?





Our three days there were probably the loveliest three days of the year.







Comments

  1. Looks like and sounds like you all had a awesome time. Lisa Wiley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun fun fun! I so miss the sierras. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went on a camping trip to Northern CA, Eel River and such when our boys were just a little older than your kids. It was probably the best family trip we ever had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to the Eel River. I just looked at a few pictures...we might have to check that out!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're back :) Looks like fun! Love camping memories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh. i want that fish in my maaaoouuth! looks like an awesome trip. i hope my kiddos get the chance to experience camping in beautiful ca. miss it and you guys. love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and ps. your canoeing attitude cracked me up. literally. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were supposed to say, "Really??? I can't even picture that! That doesn't sound like you at ALL." *snort

      Delete
    2. haha you guys are awesome Mel & La :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful time! And I too cracked up about the canoeing. When I read you were "the worst paddling partner ever". I was like...what? I've ridden with her many a time and she KNOWS how to canoe! Oh the joys of wifyness;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your vacation photos and the tales that go along with them. Brought back so many memories of little trips we took when our kids were young. I, too, was laughing about the canoeing. I could relate. Not that I know a thing about canoeing. But plug something else in there and....well I could see myself in your story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts