Motherhood, Meltdowns, Muffins, and More

Brandon is really into celebrating Mother's Day.  Actually, I think he's really into treats.  He's really into out-of-the-ordinary.  He's really into spending money.  He's really into creating.

He's been asking for three weeks what I would like to do for on my special day.  I told him, "I don't know.  We don't have to do anything fancy.  Some hugs would be good.  And happy kids.  That would be pretty special to me."

He didn't like that answer.

On Thursday, he gathered the girls in his room, and they worked on surprises for me...lovely little notes of affection.

Friday morning was "Muffins with Mom" at school.  Unfortunately, two of the three kids had meltdowns.  I resorted to the comment, "This is supposed to be a special day.  This does not feel very special to me.  Does it feel special to you?"  Motherhood fail.

Everyone dried their tears eventually, and we enjoyed our muffins and milk.  I got smiles, hugs, and 'I love you!' from my school-aged children when it was time for me to leave.  Motherhood success.

Saturday morning, Allan asked if we could all go out to breakfast together.  The kids jumped and argued and danced and fussed and laughed as we got ready.  They took me to one of my favorite locations, The Grill at Hunter Ranch.  An omelette loaded with Kelly's Bacon?  Yes, please!  That bacon is all kinds of amazing.

On Sunday morning, Claire showed up at the side of my bed with a burning fever.  Brandon was devastated.  "It's Mother's Day!  Today's supposed to be special for you, but now Claire's sick."

"It's ok.  It's just part of being a mother."

"But how will we do anything for you today if she's sick?"

"Well, we can just be thankful that we went out to breakfast yesterday AND had muffins together on Friday.  We don't have to do anything else," I said.

"But I wanted to take you to Starbucks or Cold Stone or something," he said.

I ended up staying home with Claire, and Allan took the other two to worship service.

When they got home, Claire's fever was low-grade, and she didn't have any other symptoms.  Brandon was elated.  "Momma, do you want to go get Starbucks this afternoon and go for a bike ride by the river?  Would you like that?"

"That does sound fun.  Actually, I have another idea.  Something we haven't done before.  How about rollerblading by the river?"

Brandon and Corrine jumped around the living room.  "Yes! Rollerblading?  Yes! Yes!"

A little later we loaded up the rollerblades, stroller, and kids and headed to town.  We stopped by Starbucks to get some 2-for-1 frappuccinos.  The lady in the car in front of us gifted us with free drinks.  The kids were amazed that anyone would be so generous.  Thank you, kind lady.

We sipped on our drinks and buckled on our skates.  There was a bit of trepidation.  You see, Brandon and Corrine hadn't actually roller-bladed on slopes.  Their experience was limited to flat terrain.  Also, I had decided that I could push Claire in the jogging stroller while I bladed.  Allan looked at me a bit incredulously as we prepared to leave.  "Wait.  Isn't there a hand brake on that thing?"

"Nope.  No brakes.  It'll be fine," I said.

He didn't look like he believed me.




We skated.  The kids did great, and I was impressed that none of them got road-rash.



And I was fine, just like I said.  Well, until the very last hill.  We were about 75 yards from our starting point.  Corrine was gaining speed, and she freaked out.  I told her to grab the stroller handle.  Bad choice.

"Stand up, stand up!  You'll be fine.  You're doing great!  Stand up!  No, it's ok.  You're fine.  Stand up!"

But she wasn't having any of that nonsense.

We were going too fast.  I could tell she was going to bail, so I did what any mother would do.  I sacrificed myself and aimed the girls toward the only soft landing I could see: a rosemary bush.

Claire's eyes looked like little saucers.  I think she was trying to figure out if she was still in the stroller or if I had magically turned the stroller into a lazy boy recliner.  The poor bush.  It never even knew what hit it.  But it handled us, or them, like a champ.

Too bad there was only enough bush for Claire's stroller and Corrine.  My great sacrifice landed me on the asphalt.  It's going to be a while before my hiney recovers.

I stood up and pulled the girls out of the bush.  They were shaken, but unharmed.

Brandon was the first to talk. "You're bleeding!  This day is NOT good at all!  First Claire was sick and now you're bleeding!"

"I'm fine," I chuckled.

Allan didn't even say, "I told you so."  Instead he said, "Your knee.  I think I might have a first aid kit.  Are you ok?"

"Really, I'm fine," I chuckled some more, visualizing how utterly ridiculous, hilarious, and horrifying, we must have been to watch.

A day later, I still can't stop chuckling.

I hope all of you mothers out there had a memorable weekend.  I sure it was full of all things pertaining to motherhood, like meltdowns, muffins, and more.


Comments

Popular Posts